Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Searching Search Engines

Finally, I am on solid ground. I have had some exposure to Search engines, through Summer Institute, and our own Staff Day programs. I found all of them fairly easy to navigate. It took a little getting use to the "clusters". Personally, when searching for something, I prefer to get the list of my "hits", and not get distracted by the cutesy. Anyhow, I searched Mooter, Clusty, and Yahoo. My usual search engine is Google. I found all four of them similar, once I got past the clusters on Mooter and Clusty. It was interesting that of the three, only one URL showed up in the top 5 of all three. My search was for "crockpot recipes". Southernfood.about.com/library/crock showed up on all three. Mrs.Dash.com showed up on 2 of them from the sponsor end. I thought I would have more similar hits. I guess the "spiders" do investigate different links, and therefore would give me different hits. It opened my eyes, as far as branching out and checking more than one search engine. I did try one more search engine, after reading a blog posted by one of our bloggers. They mentioned dogpile. com. I really liked that search engine. It combines google, yahoo search, MSN search, and ask. That is very convenient to get them all in one fell swoop.

No comments: