Thursday, January 18, 2007

Myspace vs. My Space

I have been reading, and reading, and reading, to try and understand why someone would want a myspace. I guess it is a generational thing. I am very protective of my privacy and would not want to put my self "out there". However, as a teen or a young adult, I might have found it tempting. I have issues with reliability. So many of these pages are made up. Why do it????

I did quite a bit of the reading on the use of myspace for teens in a library setting. Again, I find the reasoning behind it a little vague. These teens all have individual myspace accounts. Why do they find it necessary or desirable to be on a library site??? I do not understand the draw? So many of them put down that they were looking for dating, serious relationships, and friends. How can this be achieved by a bogus account??? I was also wondering, that when you created a new post on your myspace, does that update all of your "friends" sites at the "myfriends" found on the library pages? I am trying to be openminded, and I really want to understand this myspace concept.

After talking with Bobbi, I found that she is quite protective of her site, and only people that she has preapproved can enter it. That is a sensible safeguard. So, when you have safeguarded your site, do you put real info there. Are these sights hackable? (Is that a word?)

Hmmmm..... after reading this post, I seem to have more questions than answers. Does someone outhere have any answers????

3 comments:

Bobbi Newman said...

one of the things I use Myspace for is to keep in touch with friends that don't live here and I haven't seen in awhile. It's nice because they are all there in one place. It's easy to sign in and see their pics, their blog, etc. I honestly think if I only had an email address as a means to keep in touch I wouldn't use it, at least not as often. Out of sight out of mind as they say. On myspace I can leave a quick comment on their page, send them a private message, read their blog etc.

Through myspace I was able to make contact with a friends I went to high school with but lost touch after graduation. I saw him when I was "home" at Christmas time this year. It was great.

Like anything myspace pages have the potential for abuse. I don't have my real name listed and my profile is set to "private" so only people who are my "friends" on myspace can see it. Safety on the internet needs to be taught, just as we're taught not to take candy from strangers, walk with friends at night, etc.

Karen said...

Debbie, I understand totally where you are coming from. I do not get myspace at all even though I can understand why teens like it. I guard my privacy.

sexybeast said...

I use it to connect with old friends...this makes me feel happy. I also can join groups and talk about things I find important. Myspace isn't just for teens. It can be abused but everything can. I understand your thoughts.