I was fortunate enough to actually ride a wiki wiki bus, and the word has stuck with me for over 30 years. But now, I must rethink what I define as a wiki. I read all of the material and found I have mixed feelings about them. I think they have there purpose. I liked the idea of using them like St. Joseph public library did, the connection between the booklists and the catalog. I also liked the fact that you could link to many related topics on the internet. However, at the same time, I felt that outside contributions were limited. Soooo….is it a true Wiki or is it a web page? Or is there a difference? I also like the ones where you have a purpose, be it to collaborate on editing documents, or doing some initial planning, where you want input. I liked having a collective knowledge base.
Where I have problems with a “wiki” is accountability. If you are just expressing your own opinion, then I can accept that. However, if you are trying to pass your opinion off as fact, then I have a problem with it. I feel they can be very subjective and there might be more “gray” area than I am comfortable with. I am sure that all who participate in these wikis have these same feelings, and one must take them with 2 or 3 grains of salt (maybe more). I did not like the wikipedia at all. I felt there is too much room for error, personal opinion, and “vandalism”. They catch as many as they can, but how many go undetected?
I have a question? My daughters have had to post to a “blackboard” in school. Is this a wiki?
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A blackboard is a secure site for web based instruction, an online community. Instructions will start a new topic of conversation and student respond beneath it. Each topic and it's responses form a "thread" so that all the response for the topic are under it and everyone can read them. Instructors can also post homework, tests and quizzes, students can email each other and the instructor, chat live. Hope that helps.
Post a Comment